October brought my business some great events and some disappointments.
October Daily Actions
Marketing ideas are usually really simple but taking action on those ideas are extremely hard. Last month I said I was going to focus on closing the sales that I had pending. I closed some but I had a hard time working on the daily actions I set for myself. The three actions I was supposed to do were:
- Follow up with 1 proposal a day
- Get a “No” every day
- Have one new newsletter subscriber per week
By the end of the month, I found I never really did any of them. The excuse I have is that I was busy working on billable work. This is a really good excuse, but the lack of action will end up hurting me in coming months as my marketing has lulled next to nothing.
October Monthly Goal
On a better note, my October goal was to bring in $7,000 in revenue. This goal was to make me stretch and was basically double the amount of work I had confirmed.
Guess what? ….. I reached it
Near the end of the month about 66% of the goal was complete and I was pushing really hard to hit 100%. Then I had a project make some changes that resulted in a ton of work for me to do before the end of the month. This push let me finish my goal, in fact I even beat it by an extra 10%.
It is really surprising what you can do if you put your head to it.
November Goals and Actions
For November I decided to try something new with my goals and actions. Instead of having 10 marketing actions and one goal, I split my goals and actions into 3 sections, each with their own daily actions and rewards.
I had a killer month last month, far exceeding my revenue goal. From the projects I currently have, I think I can have another killer month. I’ve also been wanting to add something to my website that I can give away to visitors, so I will be starting to work on that resource this month.
- $7,000 in revenue
- Planning completed on a free web resource
- Finish all portfolio tasks
Over the past few months, my marketing has slowed down a lot. My biggest problem is that I am not meeting enough new people. So my November Marketing goals are focusing on meeting new people.
- Meet 5 new people
- Get 5 new newsletter subscriptions
Personal Development Section
This section is a bit of an experiment. Since the business is part of my life, it should somehow improve the skills I have. Recently, due to long work hours and just an addiction to reading, I have stockpiled a huge amount of blog posts and books to read. I am already a fast reader, but if I could double my reading speed I would be able to start to catch up and pick up a lot of good information.
- Speed read at 750 words per minute with 70% comprehension
Some lessons I learned from this month:
- Let your goals help push you to success: I was afraid to set such a high goal in October but I am now glad I did. If it was lower, I wouldn’t have driven myself as hard to reach it. Your goals should be far enough out of your grasp, that you need to strain to reach them.
- Track what you want to improve: The last two weeks of October, I started to track how much revenue I made every day. This let me see that I was making progress to my goal and helped motivate me to put in that extra hour of billable work each day.
- Reward yourself: As you accomplish major tasks, take the time to reward yourself. This can be as simple as an hour playing a game, or are large having a shopping spree at your favorite book store. Rewarding the little successes really make running your business fun.