Ideas and Planning
I’m a big planner. I like to brainstorm ideas and ways to implement them. I feel that sharing my thought process can help others, which is why I’ve written about my processes so much.
- Business Model Generation
- Business Model You – Review
- Marc-André Cournoyer Interviews Me About ebooks and Products
- Weekly product metrics
- Tracking My Annual Goals
Marketing has become a passion of mine. Like software it works good to start with a hypothesis, test, refine, and incrementally improve it.
- Ruby Freelancers e20 with C.J. Hayden, author of Get Clients Now
- Turn your Marketing into a Fun Game
- Your Marketing Game
Building SaaS Apps
I’ve worked on and built several SaaS apps as a developer. I’ve also created a few as an entrepreneur, but I’m still learning.
Chirk HR is my SaaS product that helps human resource professionals track their employee training.
My Publishing Business
Writing is a passion. One that in 2010 led to publishing my first book “Refactoring Redmine”. Since then I’ve gone on to publish more books. It’s also given me a chance to refine and reflect on my process as a writer.
- Four Lessons I Learned Offering a Pre-Order For My Ebook
- My ebook publishing tools
- Published in Hacker Monthly
- My writing process
- Buy My Ebooks With A Credit Card? What is this 2007?
My first book that teaches how to refactor Ruby on Rails applications. Looking back, the title isn’t a clear description of the actual book. Redmine was the software I was refactoring but it was merely an example of applying the refactoring process.
- Refactoring Redmine – the first 30 days
- Refactoring Redmine covered on The Ruby Show
- Refactoring Redmine, the ebook launched
I purchased Authoring Ebooks from Jeremy McAnally in 2011. It describes his process he used to plan and write three of his own ebooks. Not only was that process one that worked well for him but it mirrored my own process quite nicely.
Redmine Tips is a power-user’s guide to Redmine.
The Freelancer’s Guide to Long-Term Contracts
The Freelancer’s Guide to Long-Term Contracts is a training system for freelancers that shows how to find and win more long-term contracts.